By Tim Tal
Allen Iverson is still missed in the NBA. His name is frequently brought up with the best the NBA had to offer in the last 15 years or so. He’s remembered by his former teammates, coaches and opponents.
And, there’s a lot to remember:
Iverson, spent 14 seasons in the NBA, playing in 914 NBA games (901 started), and holds career average of 26.7 points per game, and 6.2 assists per game, with 41.1 minutes per game.
He scored a total of 24,368 career points. He was the winner of both the Most Valuable Player and Rookie of the Year honors. He is an 11-time All-Star, and 4-time NBA scoring champion.
Iverson took his team all the way to the NBA Finals in 2001 but lost to the Los Angeles Lakers in five games. Despite never winning a championship, Iverson was rated the fifth greatest NBA shooting guard of all time by ESPN in 2008.
Iverson left behind a great career, well worth the Hall of Fame. Besides that, he left some great quotes that we’ve decided to list.
And from these quotes, one thing can be said for sure: Iverson gave his all, being a fearless, talented competitor with heart bigger than his talent.
Here below are Allen Iverson’s top memorable quotes through the years, gathered from his interviews, documentaries and personal statements.
1. I dont want to be a point guard, or a two-guard, I want people to think of me as “creative”, I just want to create on the court.
2. When I was a little kid I used to go on the playground and say: today I will shoot like Bird, pass like Magic, jump like Mike (Jordan), be quick like Zeke (Isiah Thomas). I am thankful to them, since without seeing them do things they did, I wouldn’t be in the NBA.
3. I play every game like it’s my last game. All that matters is that you go out there and play every game as if it was your last.
4. I see kids today trying to do the things I did, and it makes me feel like I’ve come a long way.
5. I was the bridge between the Michael Jordan era and LeBron James era.
6. I love you Philadelphia. I want to thank you for accepting me, and letting me be me and make this my home forever.
7. I’m going to always be a Sixer til I die.
8. I made a lot of mistakes, a lot of things I’m not proud of. But it’s only for other people to learn from.
9. My whole thing was, just being me. Now, you look around the NBA and all of them have tattoos, guys wearing cornrows. Now you see the police officers with the cornrows. I took a beating for those types of things.
10. People think that I’m some tough renegade, black-hearted being, evil, but that ain’t me.
11. My whole thing is, if you love me, then love me. If you don’t, then believe what you hear and run with that.
12. I remember playing in a tournament when at home we didn’t have light, because my mom spent her last money on my sneakers.
13. I wasn’t a bad guy. I just wanted God to give me a second chance.
14. I don’t want to be another Jordan, Magic, or Isiah. When my career is over, I want to be able to look in the mirror and say ‘I did it my way’.
15. Believe me, I am not even that brave enough to miss that many practices.
16. I always wanted to be a Sixer. My dad was a Sixers’ fan. I never wanted to leave. I wanted to start my career in Philly and finish it here.
17. I am the MVP and I gotta worry about the trade talk.
18. I am supposed to be a franchise player, and we’re sitting here, talking about practice. We’re talking about practice! Not a game, but practice! Not the game that I go out there and die for, that I play like its my last. We talk about practice. How silly is that? I know I am supposed to lead by example, and I am not shoving it aside like it doesn’t mean anything, but we’re talking about practice!
19. In 2001 we didn’t have all the talent in the world, we just had me on offense and just a bunch of tough ass dudes, and a great coach in Larry Brown.
20. I thought we’d be discussing about me not leaving Philadelphia and they just kept asking me about the practice, so I lost it.Follow @exnbadotcom
Below is our latest poll. Please leave your vote!
Stay updated on latest stories!
comments powered by Disqus